Import Existing KeePass Database
This section will help you import your existing KeePass database into Pleasant Password Server.
To import another type of password file: see Importing your Passwords.
Export from old database
- Run the standard version of KeePass, where your existing password database resides.
- Click Export from the File menu.
- Choose the export format (KeePass KDBX 2.x is recommended, as this format is encrypted).
- Input the file to where you want to password database exported.
- Click OK.
Pre-Import - Validation Checks
- Check for Attachments larger than the default 25 MB maximum
- View by running the Attachments Report
- Check that entries do not have:
- No name, or
Import into Password Server
For this part of the transfer process, please make sure that you have downloaded, installed, and are using KeePass for Pleasant Password Server for a Desktop PC (as opposed to the standard or "vanilla" KeePass).
- Run KeePass for Pleasant Password Server and log in to your server (use an administrator account to ensure full database access).
- Click Import from the File menu.
- Choose the file format you wish to import (same as what you exported to in the previous section).
- Select the file you want to import (same as the file you exported to in the previous section).
- When prompted for the "Master Password" enter "export_password" (without the quotation marks) and click OK.
- You will be prompted to select an import behaviour. This will determine what to do if a conflict occurs when importing (eg: if you import a password or group that already exists in your database). If you are importing into an empty database, this does not matter, and using the default selection "Create new IDs" will suffice.
- A progress bar should appear for the import process. Depending on the size of the database being imported, this should take a few seconds to a few minutes.
- Once the progress bar disappears, the import is complete. Please check a few passwords to be certain that all of the data was exported/imported properly.