3) Importing Passwords
See why customers enjoy using Pleasant Password Server with a KeePass client
Pleasant Password Server uses KeePass for Pleasant Password Server (desktop PC client) to import your passwords from an unlimited number of file formats.
- Approximately 45 different standard file formats are available to import!
- A custom import wizard is also available and provides the ability to import custom file formats
This functionality was originally developed by Regular KeePass and KeePass by Pleasant was able to make use of this code.
For an existing KeePass database/export files: see these steps to import.
Have Questions? Contact Us!
KeePass for Pleasant Password Server supports importing from the familiar file formats that standard KeePass supports:
- CSV files (all), KeePass (KDBX, XML and CSV), Google Chrome, Mozilla Bookmarks,
- and many others!...
For more information about importing and exporting, see the Official Documentation for KeePass.
Custom Fields: If your password file has custom fields which are not included in these formats, you can convert your password file to a CSV file and follow the steps below.
Pre-Import - Validation Checks
- Check for Attachments larger than the default 25 MB maximum (use the Attachments Report)
- Check entries that do not have: no name, or, slashes (i.e. "/" or "\")
- Check groups must have names: search export file for <Name></Name>
- When importing an entire Regular KeePass database into KeePass by Pleasant we suggest doing one folder at a time to reduce complexity.
Import into a folder
You can use import passwords to your choice of destination folder:
- Open KeePass for Pleasant Password Server (desktop PC client)
- Select the location folder, to which you want your passwords imported:
- Root Folder:
- Click File > Import
- Any folder:
- Right-click your destination folder
- Click "Import Into Group..."
- If you do not have a permitted Access Level, this operation will give an error
- Root Folder:
Confirming the Entry Imports
To double-check the imported entries, select inside the Search box and press Enter. All entries (visible to the user) will be displayed in the list, and the status bar at the bottom will show the total number of entries.
Importing Custom Fields
Follow these steps to import from a CSV file that has a unique fields or field order:
- Select the location for your import (from the options above: i.e. Root, or another folder)
- Select Generic CSV Importer -> Select a CSV file to import -> Click Ok
- Select Structure tab
- Use the controls to specify the order of fields. For each custom field you wish to specify use the Type: String and also specify the Name:
- In the Preview tab, make sure that all Column Headers display correctly including the names of your custom fields, and that all of the data displays correctly.
KeePass 1.x Database Files
KeePass 1.x .kdb files cannot be directly imported into KeePass for Pleasant Password Server as the required KeePassC64.dll file can cause compatibility issues with Password Server features.
The database can be exported as a Supported Format, or to retain database format:
- Install KeePass 2.x with the Native Support Library option selected.
- Import the KeePass 1.x .kdb file into KeePass 2.x
- Export from KeePass 2.x as .kdbx and import into KeePass for Pleasant Password Server.