2) Exporting passwords from KeePass for Pleasant Password Server
It is possible to export a user's set of passwords, by using KeePass for Pleasant Password Client. It is also possible to copy entries from one KeePass to another KeePass instance (option: "Copy Whole Entries").
Creating a file export can be beneficial for storing and manipulating the information in a different format.
Note: When making a copy of secured vault passwords, ensure that the new file location is properly secured.
Have Questions? Contact Us!
By default the Export functionality has been turned off. However, any user will be able to re-enable if the client config, is not enforced (see below: Restrict Password Export). At the same time you may wish to lock the option ("Copy Whole Entries").
To re-enable export on the user's desktop:
- Navigate to KeePass for Pleasant > Tools > Options > Policy tab
- Check these options on:
- Export * (Allow exporting entries.)
- Export - No Key Repeat * (Do not require entering current master key before exporting.)
- * Restart KeePass
If the first option is not enabled you may see:
- KeePass: "This operation is not allowed by the application policy. Ask your administrator to allow this operation. The following policy flag is required: Export - Allow exporting entries."
If the second option is not enabled you may see the following prompt & popup:
- KeePass: "Enter Current Master Key" (window prompt)
- KeePass: "The composite key is invalid! Make sure the composite key is correct and try again." (popup)
Restricting Password Export
The ability to Export passwords / information can be restricted by administrators: by navigating to the KeePass options, turning off KeePass Export, and assigning this Client Configuration file to be enforced for selected Users or Roles.
Better, More Secure Export Methods
These related methods are useful ways to manage the storage of your passwords, or are more secure/more convenient in many situations:
- Backup and Restore
- Caching Passwords Offline
- Managing Passwords Through an API
- Archive Folder (coming soon!)
- Formats Available:
- CSV, KDB, KDBX, XML, customizable HTML, Transform using XSL, or as Windows Favourites (bookmarks)
- The export can be encrypted and password protected, or plain text, as you choose.
- Folders / Security Access / Roles are not included in the Export/Import files.
Password Export Steps
- Export All: Select Export from the File menu
- Export a Folder: Right-Click on a folder
- Select a Format type and a filename
- Click Ok
- Enter a custom password (version 7.9.6)
- Click Ok
KeePass File Import Steps
To import this file back into either KeePass for Pleasant Password Server or the regular KeePass (keepass.info):
- Import the file into KeePass
- When prompted, enter the custom password (version 7.9.6), or the default password (previous versions):
How do I change the KDBX file password?
To store your exported passwords in a KDBX file with a password different than the default password mentioned in the section above, then follow these steps:
- Open KeePass for Pleasant Password Server.
- Export your entries to a KDBX file.
- Exit KeePass for Pleasant Password Server (make sure it's completely closed)
- Open up the regular version of KeePass (download from: https://keepass.info)
- Create a new database.
- Open File -> Change Master Key, and set a new password.
- Import your passwords from the KDBX file you exported earlier.