Discover how Pleasant Password Server will enhance KeePass for business
We recommend keeping updated with security software upgrades, which can be downloaded from the website. Currently, for added safety precautions, the software will not auto-update itself.
Upgrades and Support are included in your subscription plan (renewed annually). Select to install a software version which was created before your License Expiry date.
Often customers may wish to also:
Have Questions? Contact Us
- Determine your subscription's Expiry Date, and if your subscription is expired, renew it before you continue to the steps below. Either:
- Click Check License Status button on License Status page to confirm expiry date
- Enter your License Key on this page and click Upgrade/Renew
Step 2: Make a backup
Note: There is no way to restore a previous version without a backup.
- Before proceeding:
- Check that the backup was successfully completed.
- Check if you want to manually save files / folders. Reference: Items included in the Database Backup
- Ensure the encryption key is saved: which is needed for Backup/Restore functionality, or Encrypted SQLite databases.
- If you are running versions 7.3.5 or earlier: Update an Earlier Version
- If you are running versions 7.3.7 or later, install these directly:
Stable version (recommended)
Contains the newest features and fixes. Some of these features may still be undergoing additional Quality Assurance (not recommended for large enterprise implementations)
Step 4: Monitor Install Progress
- During the install updates will be applied to the database, and there may be some database conversion steps. Depending on the number of releases between version updates, there may be quite a number of changes.
Please be patient, as the service may take some time to restart while processing the upgrade changes. This time will vary depending on the number of releases between the version updates or the amount of records to update.
- Monitoring progress:
- You can view in the default SQLite database folder: you may notice a journal.db file, and that the database may grow and even double in size while database changes are being made. This will continue until all changes are committed together at once. If this process is interrupted, the changes get rolled back.
- Startup delays:
- We would recommend waiting for awhile and monitoring progress,
- If there has been years since the last update, you may wish to download and install intermediate upgrades (with one or two Stable Versions found in Historic Versions),
- Otherwise, see the troubleshooting steps below.
Step 5: Re-apply custom config settings
If you have made any advanced custom settings that are not managed in the install/upgrade, re-apply those custom settings now.
Step 6: Reactivate License Key on License Tab
- This is only necessary to refresh the license status, or if license details have be cleared out.
Have Questions? Contact Us
The upgrade of Password Server is a quick and simple process on all Windows Servers, Computers, and VM's mentioned here. Sometimes however, an unexpected problem may occur.
License details look wrong
Re-activate the license in the web application (License tab) to see any new renewal / license updates. This will show new expiry dates and user counts.
Increase your Logging Details, and check if:
- The Log output files are still changing, which means the Update is still in progress, or,
- If there are errors.
Service startup problems
Viewing Windows Events may provide some insight
Update KeePass Client
If you update Password Server, you and your users should also update KeePass Client.
Download the version the best corresponds to your Password Server version from:
The Client Download tab in the web client
Or, get the version of your choice: download previous versions
Some users may choose to switch servers as part of their upgrade procedure.
It is recommended to migrate your database between two servers running the same version of Pleasant Password Server using the Database Backup feature.
(See Migration Steps, with information and links are provided.)
However in instances of server failure or incompatibility with new versions, this may not be possible.
In such cases, move your database to the new server and follow the Updating Software instructions.
Further Reference: Items included in the Database Backup
Locating your database file
The default location of the Pleasant Password Server database can be found here: locating your database file.