Sound Designer (Post Effects)
Not your everyday sound position. Challenging and fast moving, yet friendly and supportive: a career practicing your art that you will look forward to every day. Work with incredibly talented artists in an exciting environment where every month is different.
- Part time contract and/or full time film sound designer
- Other Positions: We are also hiring for video editor, motion designer, 3D generalist animators (non-character), director of photography (focus on artisting lighting), and more. You may apply for multiple positions separately. If you know someone in any of these areas, please do them a quick and friendly favour by letting them know about this posting.
- Position is permanent and steady for both the full time position and the part time position.
- Contract position would involved several days per month steady.
- Flexible hours (for example: choose to start your day between 6am and 10am, work late some days and shorter on others).
- 85% internal projects (for multiple product lines), 15% client projects.
- Focus on post-production: position does not require sound equipment handling during shooting days (although we can optionally make use of such secondary talents if you have them).
- Focus on achieving noticeably remarkable and portfolio-worthy results, with only some projects that simply need to be done in a short timeframe (we aim to win awards for our work).
- The same variety as working at an agency, but without the cutting corners to deliver too quickly.
- Engage in constructive debate to challenge your artistic choices; standing up for your choices, while being willing to use respectful criticism, with or without the sugar coating, to iterate into even better designs.
- Mixing and selecting sound effects, ambience, and music to a cinematic level of quality.
- May involved folly sound creation where your skills allow.
- Technical elements of sound including importing sound streams, sound leveling and balancing, mixing, removing background noise, changing ambient feel to the sound, and removing accidental noises.
- Gain experience with numerous video types: entertainment videos (like drama short stories), animated explainer videos, YouTube commercials, infographic videos, company culture interviews, training videos, and short snippits for social media.
- Collaborating with 3D character animators (for lip syncing or otherwise), director, camera artists, and others.
- Assisting with selecting and guiding voice talent.
- Does not involve constant tight deadlines nor overtime that lead to results you are not proud of; there is pressure but it is manageable and work has steady hours.
- Does not involve TV broadcasting (low quality, restrictive timings).
- High end equipment is typically used at the studio.
- Passionate about video storytelling and sound specifically
- Can dig deep for stunning results
- Superb understanding of how sound affects perception of quality and engagement of viewers
- Solid sense of timing
- Attention to detail
- Takes pride in work
- No specific requirements for formal education or industry experience. We evaluate each applicant based on merit and potential rather than formalities, however a portfolio is required.
Nice To Have:
- Experience in a wide variety of sound design for film
About The Work Environment:
- Friendly, non-threatening, and non-political environment.
- We are a great environment for both outgoing people and those who are very shy and introverted (so long as it fits the part).
- Auditions are done efficiently, performers can expect very short wait times at auditions, aiming for less than 15 minutes.
- Seating available before audition, no standing line-ups.
- Typically auditions will be done in front of a green-screen with cameras running.
- Our productions are typically scripted by our own full-time professional writers and video edited by our own full-time, professional editors.
- Many productions are in the studio and green-screen, but some shoots will be on-location.
About The Company:
- Pleasant Solutions is a dynamic company headquartered in Edmonton, a large satellite office in Toronto/Vancouver, and small satellite offices across Canada and the USA (including in Calgary, Ottawa, Saskatoon, New York, Denver, Boston, etc)
- We have been an enterprise software services company since 2007, and have just recently launched a studio for our own innovative video productions as well as client contracted productions.
- We may be the largest capacity video marketing studio in Western Canada except for television and news stations (we have not confirmed this, but it appears to be the case).
- Silicon Valley kind of excitement and growth potential.
- Fast growth: One of the 200 fastest growing technology companies in North America with 955% growth over 5 years (based on growth rates in published rankings of the 2014 Profit 500 and 2013 Deloitte Technology Fast 500). Canadian Profit Guide ranked us #88 out of 500 for fast growth in Canada, announced in Sept 2015.
- Full of smart and passionate people whom you can learn from.
- We do a mix of in-house product development, software development services, electronics manufacturing, marketing services, and IT services. For consulting, we build both large and small custom projects. Our in-house products include the high-security Pleasant Password Server, an innovative tool that lets non-technical people build their own web applications using spreadsheets, an event ticketing system, and other business software.
- An innovative technology company with an aim of achieving results in creative ways.
- Socially conscious (for example, we pay for employees to sponsor hundreds of WorldVision children).
- What do you have to lose by exploring the possibility? Applying does not take long and we keep your application confidential (never disclosed to existing employer).
- Apply online today at https://pleasantsolutions.com/careers
- Even if you don't have your resume updated or ready to go, apply anyways, we want to hear from you!
- Please do not apply via email, apply only by visiting the https://pleasantsolutions.com/careers site.
- sound designer
- dialogue editor
- sound editor
- re-recording mixer
- music supervisor
- foley artist
- score mixer
- music editor
- post-production sound
- sound post-production
- sound production
- sound artist
- sound studio
- cinematic sound design
- film sound design
- foley artist
- sound designers
- dialogue editors
- sound editors
- re-recording mixers
- music supervisors
- foley artists
- score mixers
- music editors
- post-production sounds
- sound post-productions
- sound productions
- sound artists
- sound studios
- cinematic sound designs
- film sound designs
- foley artists